Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Techniques for Teaching ABCs, Numbers, Shapes and Colors : The Toddler Way

A few, if not all moms out there would agree that toddlers are restless and wiggly. They are hyper active all day long until such time that they fall asleep. Working with them requires a little more effort than what you supposed to be.  
Let me share with you how I handle my adorable four boys to learn  ABCs, Numbers, Shapes and Colors. These are just simple techniques that you can do as a mom and as their first teacher.  I call this : Techniques for Teaching ABCs, Numbers, Shapes and Colors : The Toddler Way
Yes, you heard it right! not 1... not 2...but 4 adorable angels. Now, ask me how am I doing that? :-)
 " Toddler " refers to a young child between the ages of one and three. It is a stage when kids are on their momentum of development. Mine are on the ages, 1 , 3 and 4. This is the very best time for me to set up activities that can boost an amazing developmental milestones .
The key to a successful training is not by forcing them to do something that you want them to do . It is but to have them embrace those things out of their curiosity. It would be a bit troublesome for others because not every kid are into this, but it is a matter of how you have them learn things the easiest and a more fun way. Here are my tricks that I do with my kiddos.
Photo Credit: Amy (http://www.superhealthykids.com/blog/toddler-perfect-chicken-nuggets.php)
1. Eat with Shapes .There's nothing funnier than having foods in different shapes. This will definitely entice kids to learn shapes and spice up their way to mealtime. Well, you can use a cutter on sandwiches, cookies , pancakes and waffles. You can also bake cookies in different shapes and introduce each shapes to your child. Alternately, you can do heart-shaped cookies on Mondays, circle-like sandwiches on Tuesdays, star-shaped pancakes or diamond-shaped waffles on the other days. Searching for shapes to eat is
really fun. You can also try trickier ones like hexagon or pentagon. 
2. Play with Numbers. Count  me in! We all know how much kids love playing. There are so many tricks that you can do with this. Game is the best trick to teach kids. What I do is, I let my kids play hide and seek. And while others are hiding, I teach my little one to count 1 to 10. You can also try the classic board game that has kids counting  like snakes and ladder. 
3. Sing with ABCs. Small kids love rhymes, you can use this as your mean to introduce ABCs. You can start that up by singing the Alphabet song while holding up things to
represent each letters.
4. Work with Colors. When cleanup time rolls around, let your kids do the work. Encourage them to keep things by color. Give them  boxes so they can separate red from yellow and blue from green and so on. Then ask them as to what shows up most at clean up time.
   
How 'bout you? How do you do your tricks? Share it with us! And let's have a fun fun fun time with our Toddlers!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I so adore you for having 3 toddlers and still sooooo sane! If I can be just even half as you...

    I also love these tricks. I try to most of them but the real trick is to find time :-)

    Thanks for dropping by my blog. Once I get the chance to go online on my lappy, I'll add you on my blog list on the inner left panel of my blog. I'd defo love to get updated of your new posts :-)

    Spanish Pinay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks for dropping by! I really appreciate your comment!

      Oh by the way , they are 4 not 3. I have 4 boys..:)

      See you around!! :)

      Lovelots;

      Joan

      Delete
  2. I have 2 little girls who exhaust all my energy all the time. But 4 BOYS? That's hard, and I salute you for surviving hehe.

    Your techniques are great, I did some of those too. But I learned that kids have this amazing capacity to learn on their own. Although I taught my kids the alphabet as much as I can, using cards or puzzle mats even, they learned on their own from their toy laptops. :)

    Anyway, your blog is great. I'll check this out more often and maybe we could exchange tips with raising our kids. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the complement Jenn!

      Yeah , that's 4 tads! Well I have thought of that too. Kids have the ability to learn on their own and most of the time , they learn through that!
      You are always welcome here!

      lOvelots;

      Joan

      Delete
  3. hello Joan, thanks for following. wow 4 kids.. you're a supermom for sure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for dropping by and thanks for following back! See you around!

      Lovelots;

      Joan

      Delete
  4. Hi!
    Just wanted to let you know I love when people use my images, as long as there is a link back to the source. My blog where I first posted the chicken nuggets is here:
    http://www.superhealthykids.com/blog/toddler-perfect-chicken-nuggets.php
    thanks!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete