Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Eve traditions and how we celebrate it in the Philippines

While everyone back home are celebrating 2013 , here I am sitting on my work pod. Spending holidays with our family is just one of those seasons that we will be missing if we opted to work on a call center / BPO industry. Yes, it gives us a huge wage but it also gives us a huge heartache as we will  miss those special occasions that we should be spending with our family. Don't get me wrong ,I am still thankful for my job though.  As this has served as  my bread and butter for many years.
 
Anyway , so much about the agony. It's NEW YEAR right? I should be happy to welcome all sort of good vibes!
 
Indeed, it is more fun to celebrate Christmas in the Philippines and it is just superb to celebrate New Year's Eve as well! So how does a typical Filipino celebrates New Year's Eve? Let me  just share with you some of my grown up traditions . We are not really into superstitions yet we do follow some old rules before the new year comes in. Beliefs that makes every members of our family to be positive about the coming year.
 
I've seen my mom exerting much effort in completing our New Year's tradition. These has been traditions that she saw over her relatives and religiously does the same thing every year. Whether true or not, we still believe that most of them gives so much luck to us.
 
Things that we should have on the dining table before  New Year's Eve dinner or Media Noche.
 
12 fruits that are round in shape. Symbolizes the 12 months of the year.
 
A cup full of cotton, rice and water. Symbolizes basic necessity.Something that we should not missed out.
 
Noodles. Symbolizes life. Long LIFE for every members of the family.
 
Ricecake. Symbolizes family.  Sticky food makes a closely-knit family throughout the coming year.
 
Coins. Symbolizes prosperity or simply be well with family's  financial status.
 
Just like any other families, we want to be financially ready every year. Be well provided by basic necessities (fruits, coins , cotton, rice and water).  And to be able to enjoy every inch of these fortune together.
 
For Money Luck
 
To attract financial luck and to welcome the coming year, Mom hangs money on our min-Christmas tree, curtains, windows and doors. We open all entry access and keeps all lights on. As soon as the clocks turns 12 MN, she will roll small rounded fruits inside the house coming from the main door, then she will shower coins everywhere in the house.
 
Also, to wear polka-dots every new year's eve is a must as it gives us some financial freedom  and good vibes individually.
 
And since we are not fond of firecrackers ( since we are all girls in the family), we use  car horns and whistles, pots and pans to make loud noise. We do make loud noise while we roam-around the house, this is to scare away bad spirits and bad luck. We do this (kids) while mom does the fruits rolling and coins showering thing.
 
Have you had your share with these? Please comment and let me know.

5 comments:

  1. I can relate to the bpo thing, I'm happy that this year I was able to celebrate new year with family coz I'm off from work.. My mom also prepared 12 round fruits and I was wearing polka dots, hehe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, good to hear that. while mine is my first after 7 years. With my previous department, you have to bid for it to get it. And I am really working hard before holidays so comes the holiday bidding I will surely get what I want but unfortunately with my current queue, performance is useless.:( Happy Holidays to you Joanne and may you have a wonderful 2013! :)

      Delete
  2. That is so beautiful! I visited Philippines last year and the people are amazing. A Filipino friend shared this photo collections of people celebrating in Manila http://moment.me/n/307672

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the visit and comment. Indeed beauty is with in the Philippines.

      Delete