Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Healthy Mommy, Happy Baby.

Building your relationship to your future baby.

photocredit: Katie of http://paintingmotherhood.blogspot.comdd caption
Honestly speaking, I never thought to be pregnant at the age of  23. Scared. That's what I felt the first time I learned about it. I got scared with my future. At 23 I am still a mama's girl. Though hubby is with me along the way, this kind of emotional stress never left me until such time that I can no longer recall.



Pregnancy is not just about being happy and excited. I am not saying that I was not happy when I got pregnant. But believe it or not, you'll find a lot of negative emotions during this stage. It's like a rollercoaster of emotions no matter how ready you are.
Various emotions can surface for the woman and her partner (if she has one) in both positive and negative ways.

There will be a time that you'll think  of "what have I gotten myself into?", or "what was I thinking, do I really want a kid?", or "Am I really ready for this ( because you know there will be no turning back afterwards)?",  sounds awful but true. But  those feelings will definitely change once you've seen your precious or until such time that you realize that "THIS IS IT".

Pregnancy is an experience full of growth, change, enrichment, and challenge. It is a time when you as a couple confront your fears and expectations about becoming parents and begin to determine your own parenting style. Forthcoming parenthood causes psychological changes in both mother and father.

It was not that  long when I finally realized that "THIS IS IT!" . I told my self that I have to maximize the moment of being pregnant. The bond it created in a few weeks (after knowing it) has been  awesome and it should stay that way until the day he pops out.


Aside from being emotionally ready, here are other things that a first-time mom should know to achieve a healthy mommy, happy baby.

1. Choosing the right Obstetrician.

While you are on the early stage make sure to make  a test in selecting the right Obstetrician. If you're seeing a gynecologist you like who practices obstetrics as well, you may want to ask him or her to care for you during your pregnancy, particularly if you like the hospital where the doctor attends births. The highest percent of women are choosing obstetricians based on recommendations from their friends. However, an obstetrician that may have been ideal for a friend’s birth may not be ideal for yours, because not everyone will have the same experiences or preferences for childbirth. That’s why it’s important to do your own research as well as taking into account the experience and feedback from others.

2.  Make sure you have regular Obstetrician visits.

Make sure to let your Obstetrician  knows everything about you, your health even your past illness. It gives each of you the opportunity to see and hear everything firsthand so that you can discuss questions and concerns with each other before each visit.  A notebook will be given to you to track  your monthly check ups, make sure that you bring it with your whenever you visit your Obstetrician  and make sure that it was fully notated.

3. Feed yourself of what you want to feed your baby.

The nutrition your baby gets in the womb does impact her later health. I know you know about the foods you shouldn't eat during pregnancy and please be consistent.  This is not the right time to cheat a little.

During pregnancy, for example, you’ll need protein and calcium for your baby’s tissues and bones. You’ll also need extra folic acid to protect against neural tube birth defects, as well as more iron to help red blood cells carry oxygen to your baby.

4. Prenatal Vitamins are a must.

It's a good idea during pregnancy to take a prenatal vitamin to help cover any nutritional gaps in the mother's diet. 

Here are the main vitamins you should get: Folic Acid, Iron, and Calcium

Folic acid helps prevent neural tube birth defects, which affect the brain and spinal cord.

Calcium is also important for a pregnant woman. It can help prevent her from losing her own bone density, as the baby uses calcium for its own bone growth.


Iron helps blood -- in both the mother and baby -- carry oxygen. 5. Be active and exercise regularly
Activity means different things to different people.
Whether it’s walking, yoga, swimming or pilates, exercise is a great stress reliever, and being active with your partner will help make sure you have time together doing something that makes you feel good and keeps you healthy.



5. Be motivated. 

Set up a  driving force; a psychological drive that compels or reinforces you toward a desired goal of motherhood.



How did you feel about the first stage of your pregnancy? Have you gone beyond emotional stress?

6 comments:

  1. I read your "about" tab and I can say is you are one busy mama! I only have one daughter and she's 13 months old and she makes me really busy haha. I know this is a personal question but is there any chance that you're a Filipina? If so, well, I am! :) Thanks for following, I'm following you as well and looking forward to read more of your post and visit your blog. Have a great day!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha.. natawa naman ako dun Anne.. Yes, Pilipino ako.:) Proud to be!!
      yes, I am one busy mama here!!! Pagod pero masarap maging nanay noh! pero syempre tao lang tayo meron din pagkakataon na hindi lahat positive ang masasabi mo about motherhood.
      Thanks for visiting ! hope you are enjoying your stay!!

      Delete
    2. You know, you are beautiful kaya pla maganda ung baby mo.. combination ng pilipina at foreigner. :)

      Delete
    3. Yay! So happy to meet Filipinas in the blogging world :) Korek ka dyan kahit isang dosena pa yang anak, masarap pa din ang feeling ng pagiging mommy :)

      Delete
  2. great tips for all moms and moms to be! Pregnancy is certainly a time filled with many emotions....as is I suppose all of life after the baby..
    my daughter is due with her first baby in 6 weeks, and she follows the babes development week by week...very exciting.
    I am your newest follower from the hop..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for dropping by Annmarie!! Yeah, I did followed you via G+ and GFC. I am hope you are enjoying my posts. Hope to see you very often. Ok?..

      Delete